Saltcoats Town Hall was officially re-opened by the Rt. Hon. Nicola Sturgeon MSP, First Minister of Scotland on Monday 14 March 2016. The site is a historic landmark in the centre of Saltcoats and has undergone a £3.77 million regeneration. The building is B-listed and has been used for many different purposes in its history including a local court and cinema. The Town House and clock tower was originally constructed in 1825-26 followed by the adjoining town hall in 1892. Following the extensive refurbishment works the building will now be used for council offices and can host functions such as weddings. Will Rudd Davidson provided Structural/Civil and Conservation Engineering Design services for the full development advising on historically considerate structural repairs and strengthening works and well as extensive engineering works.
Gillian Mather, Project Engineer at Will Rudd Davidson remarked ‘We are very proud to be involved with such an extensive conservation project – most people can scarcely believe the transformation! This project ensures that the historical local landmark will remain functional and relevant for future generations.’
This project comprises of the complete reconfiguration of the uses within the Ground & First Floors including the installation of new glazed ground-floor frontages to provide a new reception and public/visitor entrance area accessed directly from Countess Street.
The structure has had various public, community and commercial uses over the years and it is in a state of severe dilapidation. The scope was to re-establish the building as the main civic focus for the town and wider Three Town’s area and act as a catalyst for wider regeneration of the town. We carried out a full extensive structural survey together with the provision of an emergency repairs schedule. One of main structural aspects was the introduction of a complete new mezzanine floor within the main hall and associated foundation strengthening works. This was designed in steel to create clear spans but through liaison with the conservation architect, was cleverly hidden to conserve the open space of the hall and be sympathetic to its surroundings.
MJ O’Shaughnessy, Director at Will Rudd Davidson commented “This has been a fantastic conservation project to be involved in. It is extremely rewarding for us to play a key role in the rejuvenation of such an iconic building which will greatly benefit the surrounding community”.